SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donkeyspam

Ground problem? Help!

donkeyspam
14 years ago

Hi, new member here.

After touching a non painted area of my computer case the other day I received a nice JOLT. (Not static. Constant current as long as my hand remained in contact with case.) After disconnecting components to isolate the problem, came down to ONLY the power supply, everything else unhooked. Still getting shocked. I turned OFF the switch on the power supply itself and still getting shocked. (Power supply plugged in but not switched on) Decided to replace the power supply. After replacement I wasn't shocked by the case but decided to hook my new multimeter to an unpainted surface on the case and the negative lead to the floor (stabbing through the carpet to the concrete underneath). Reading is 50v-70v AC depending on which part of the floor I contact.

After planting my bare feet firmly into the carpet I tested with positive lead on bare case and negative lead against my skin. Same reading, about 60v AC. (This changes to about 20V if I lift my feet off the floor, but still seated in metal desk chair.) Decided to test my other computer which is plugged into a different outlet (same room) and got the same readings.

Decided to then test the outlets in the room. These are standard U.S. 110v 3-pronged outlets. The readings are as follows:

Hot to Neutral - 122.4v AC

Hot to Ground - 103.2v AC

Neutral to Ground - 13.2v AC

I noticed that if I plugged in a power strip (3-prong style,empty) and switched it on, the outlet readings changed to:

Hot to Neutral - 122.4v AC

Hot to Ground - 64.8v AC

Neutral to Ground - 51.4v AC

I noted that the 60v reading i get from the computer cases

to the floor seems to match the voltage readings I get from the outlet when a bare power strip is plugged into it and switched on.

Sorry for such a long post I just wanted to be thorough with my description.

I can do these simple tests but I am ignorant when it comes to home wiring. Do these readings indicate a ground problem in the house wiring? Are these readings normal? Time to call the electrician?

I live in a single story house on concrete slab, standard US 110v 3-prong outlets and a 220v in the garage. House was built in 1952, originally had a fuse box but updated with breaker box some years ago. Readings taken with a very nice $450 Snap-On multimeter calibration good.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)