SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Repairing veneer finish?

party_music50
18 years ago

Hi -- I checked the "Furniture" forum and someone has already posted the same basic question and didn't get an answer there... then I tried posting on "Home Decorating" and they suggested you all might be able to help me.

I bought a veneered dining room table a few years ago. Hardly used it... but I set a rubber-backed(?) wooden placemat-type thing on it, in the center, which stayed in place for a long time. When I went to lift said 'placemat', it was *stuck* to the finish on the table.

Long story short(er), I thought the finish had "melted" or had a bad chemical reaction (feels sort of bubbly in spots). Others felt it was glue particles ON TOP of the table finish and had ideas for removing it: tried murphy's oil soap, tried buffing with a nylon, tried some kind of "goo" remover... it's getting worse with every attempt :) and others now believe my theory that the finish had "melted". In any case, anything set in the middle of the table now *sticks* to it and it looks like CRAP. :(

SO... can anyone tell me how this could be fixed? Do I just *carefully* sand down the top and then cover with polyurethane? or ???

Thank you!

Comments (13)