SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjaero19473

Build decorative wood shelf for hallway display area

rjaero19473
12 years ago

In the hallway outside our master bedroom we have an inset area with a spotlight. Right now we have yet to hang any pictures or decorate this area, but are starting to look into what we want to do with this area. I was thinking it would be nice to build a wood shelf to put on the bottom of the inset because right now the shelf area is drywall and is getting scratched up. We have red oak floors and I would like to stain the shelf to match the floor. The width is 53" and the depth is 16". I would like the shelf to be somewhat substantial as it will be a focal point in our hallway. I was thinking of getting a piece of plywood which would serve as a base for the shelf, and then mount pieces of our hardwood floor (we have a lot of extra unfinished planks in the attic). Around the front I would like to round off the edge to give it a decorative look. Is the plan I have going to work? or should I look into getting a solid piece of lumber and cut it to shape? If using one large piece is a better idea, where would I get a piece of limber that size? Any help would be appreciated as I am a novice when it comes to stuff like this, so any help would be great. Shown below is a picture of the inset area as well as a side shot that shots the profile.
{{gwi:2099144}}From September 9, 2011
{{gwi:2099145}}From September 9, 2011

Comments (6)