SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_al

Shims in Marvin Wood Clad Windows

texas_al
17 years ago

The framers put in some of the windows today. While they seem level, square, and operate fine, the framer insists on waiting and allowing the trim carpenter to shim them. They are currently hanging by the flanges only, and have play in and out, not side to side or up and down.

The framers says in order for the interior trim to fit perfectly all the way around, the trim guy will need to be able to adust the in and out play, put shims in there and nail the jambs to the stud framing through the shims. He says if he puts the shims in now, the trim guy won'at having any adjustment in getting his casing trim perfect.

They appear to be the proper thickness, sticking into the room about 1/2", no wall is perfect, and the sheetrockers slap that stuff up there without worrying about the windows and its possible in some places the sheetrock might stick out too far and closing the gap on the casement trim would be difficult.

The problem with waiting is that the foam insulation contractor is supposed to insulate the space around the window, and of course this is before the sheetrock and before the trim guy shows up. If the space is insulated I don't see how the shims can be put in there.

The other thing is that I didn't see how the trim guy could shim the window because the sheetrock will already be up by the time the trim guy gets here. The framer said just have the sheetrockers stop the sheetrock at the window rough opening - not the window jamb itself, thus leaving the gap to be shimmed exposed, to be covered by the casing trim when the shimming is done.

It seems to me that the shims could be placed now, by using a dummy piece of sheetrock around the perimeter to make sure it fits into the room right. I did some checking with some 7/16" and it seemed pretty much even all the way around. Now I hope like heck it fits right, the jambs are 5 5/16", the wall is 3.5 stud, 7/16" OSB, 3/4" framing on the outside, plus the 1/2" sheetrock to come. It should fit just fine with 1/8" to spare.

The Marvin instructions metion shimming the windows but they don't mention nailing into them. I don't see how the shims would do any good if you don't put a nail through the jamb and shims into the stud frame. But even assuming a nail goes in there, the instructions don't indicate where its safe to put one.

This is a mouthful, but I really want this to be done right. Most people put in vinyl windows around here and the framers don't put many wood windows in, but are in agreement that they will require shimming and they are putting the flashing tape on the outside. Its just a matter of who does it, if nailing is involved, and how the gap is to be insulated.

Also, the Marvin instructions call for a "small amount" of non-expanding foam on the backside of the flange, and then loosely packing fiberglass the rest of the way inward. The foam guy says they always just foam the whole thing with no problems. He says they use low expanding foam that won't...

Comments (5)