SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juniork

Milgard Ultra or Wood Clad vs Marvin Integrity windows

juniork
13 years ago

I did a search, and also searched and read in the windows forum, but wanted everyone's opinion on this:

We're finalizing our windows in our craftsman style house, and I can't decide between the two. It seems the Milgard wood-clad and Marvin Integrity are about the same price (within $1000) for our project. Does anyone have a preference between the two? (I agree with macv re. the Integrity and no spacer between the glass, but it has so much more wood on the inside than the very very thin wood-cladding of Milgard's wood-clad)

Also, we want white inside windows and white trim. The builder and window guy both think that I can go with Milgard's Ultra (fiberglass only), and save money (probably about 15%, around $4000-$5000), since we want white. My friends and coworkers who have built high end, all have had wood windows on the inside (Marvin Ultimate and Pella) and then painted them white, and think it makes a difference to the high end buyer, for resale value (looks like painted wood, not a man-made material). We're in the house for probably at least 10 years, but since it's a relatively high end house in the SF Bay Area, I want to build 'right' and not skimp too much. Yet, it IS a recession...

So should I go Milgard Ultra and save money, or go wood-clad, paint it white, and live up to 'neighborhood standards'? I've seen the Ultra, and it doesn't look wood-like to me (why can they make wood-like fiberglass front doors, but not windows?). Anyone think the Ultra would be ok? Anyone actually painted their Milgard Ultra windows white, so that at least it looks painted, and less like vinyl (even though it's fiberglass)?

Comments (4)