SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chiefneil

Cabinet installation questions

chiefneil
17 years ago

I'm installing a full wall of built-in cabinets for my den. There'll be standard cabs with doors and drawers on the bottom, a countertop, then a tall stack of bookcases above.

There's already base molding installed along that wall, a couple of electrical outlets including a switched outlet, and wall to wall carpet. My plan is to screw a line of 1x4's to the studs going horizontally and attach the cabs to the 1x4's. I'd make cutouts in the backs of the cabs where the outlets are for access. I figure this'll solve a couple issue. One is that I need to plug lighting for the bookshelves into the switched outlet and this way I can run the cord behind the cabs rather than through them (and through the countertop) and I'll also have future access to the outlets. The second thing is that I won't need to remove the base trim to get the cabs flush up against the wall.

The other thing I wanted to do is just sit the cabinets directly on the carpet rather than pulling it up, cutting and re-tacking. I actually talked to the carpet installer about this a year ago and he suggested I do it this way, saying that if I ever needed to change the carpet it could just as easily be cut flush at front the cabinets then rather than worring about it now.

My question is whether all of this sounds ok or is any of it especially bad?

Comments (2)