SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Vinyl windows icing up...

17 years ago

Winter seems to have arrived suddenly in Kamloops, BC - our first winter in our (new to us) house - and my first full winter in Canada in more than thirty years, so, as an adult, I'm kind of behind the times in windows, insulation etc....

Some of our vinyl windows are icing up, and I'm wondering if that's to be expected? The ones that are, are more in the moist areas, like kitchen and bathroom, although the master br window is a bit icy too - it's on the north face of the house, not that we've had any significant sun.

The outside temperature has been around -17 C or 0F, and indoor temps around 20 deg C (68 F) Humidity's around 30-35% - I have a hot water backflow problem so am only running humidifier sporadically, but according to the table on the humidistat, it seems to be suggesting lower humidity for lower outdoor temperatures?

Anyway, should these vinyl double-glazed windows - all pretty new - be icing like this? I wonder if the quality varies somewhat and may have come from different suppliers, vendor said windows are 'low e' but according to the candle trick there doesn't appear to be any tinting or treatment on the glass.

I guess I was expecting better performance from them, I have some original (25 yo) windows that are, not surprisingly, performing not well at all and are icy etc, but I expected it from them (and will replace them next year)

Comments (4)