SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

Cost to move outlet down behind washer

gr8daygw
9 years ago

Hello, I am doing a minor laundry room remodel with relocating some awkwardly placed cabinets and also getting a cabinet that goes over top of the front loader washer and dryer that will have granite on top. It will go flush to the wall. In order to accomplish this I had to call an electrician to move the electrical outlet down below the top of the W/D. I called a local company with Mr. in the name. It was $337 to move the outlet down. Is this normal?

I had so many other things I would have liked to have done such as an outlet in the pantry that already has a light switch but I would love to have an electrical so I could put the microwave in there. I would also love to have an outlet in the master closet which also has a light switch but not outlet. Both of these were supposed to be done by our builder but he forgot,. I wanted to add an extra outlet in the laundry room but as it happens when he moved the outlet down he left the upper one live so I do have the extra one now since it wasn't removed. Here is a picture of what I am trying to achieve. My LR is almost exactly like this as far as layout goes but not as big of a window.

Traditional Laundry Room by Charleston Photographers Matthew Bolt Graphic Design

I already have black pearl granite over the sink cabinets with an undermount stainless sink. My plan is to put the black pearl granite over the new cabinets that house the W/D and on the opposite wall a small piece that is in a desk area. As you can see in the picture, there is an outlet above the washer and that is the same setup we have but with the washer plugged into the outlet it would prevent us from being able to have the granite flush to the wall. That is why I needed an outlet lower on the wall. He was able to move it down by running a second off of the first outlet. When he was running the wire he ran into a cross brace and had to knock out some drywall to thread the wire through but he did not repair the drywall he simply put a cover plate over it since it will not show being behind the washer now.

Anyway, that was TMI just to ask if that is a normal price. Just trying to plan ahead as we go along doing these improvements to the house. Part of the charge was an $89.50 service call charge/trip charge. Thanks for any help you could provide in pricing.

Comments (4)