SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuddlepoo

Federal Pacific electric panel

cuddlepoo
16 years ago

We had a rental house that we are trying to buy inspected this morning. It has an FPE panel and the inspector said these can be a problem. The realtor is trying to get a local electrician (1.5 hours away) to check it out. Some of the things I'm reading on-line about FPE are terrible, but I also found an electrical contractors web page that had this to say

"If a FPE panel has been in use for 25-30 years and no obvious issues are present at time of inspection, then it has functioned as designed and should continue to do so effictively. Sure things weaken or don't work as well as they do when they're new, but that goes for everything - not just FPE panels.

Inspectors most of the time recommend further evaluation by a licensed electrician to divert the liability onto someone other than themselves, which is a wise move. However, from an electrician's standpoint, replacing a panel is easy money - $1500-$3500 for a day's work, so why not replace a panel that may be a "potential problem" even though the FPE panel in use has never failed?

The above issues are points to consider before rushing into anything."

The panel in question is not 25-30 years old, I'm guessing less than 10. Any opinions?

Comments (20)