SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
overdone_gw

Federal Pacific Electric breaker box

overdone
16 years ago

My breaker box and breakers are all Federal Pacific Electric.

When I had my home inspection, the inspector told us that FPE they lost U/L rating and were a known hazard and should be replaced.

1) is this the general concensus, that FPE panels are hazardous and should be replaced?

2) is replacing a breaker box considered within the reach of a handy DIYer? (I'm an EE by the way)

3) is there a compatable breaker that I could use to replace the FPE breakers and keep the FPE box? My old landlord was an electrician and said that GE bought FPE and that GE breakers can be used to replace the FPE breakers. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

My concern is that last night, I almost caused a fire by creating a short in a radiant heating panel. I am wondering why the breaker didn't trip.

My other concern is about the percieved level of my handiness. I've been doing my own wiring till now and felt i was doing an adequate job, sticking to code, using appropriately rated outlets and wire gauges and triple checking all connections, confirming all work with the HD and Time Life books on wiring, etc. But my latest goof has me left me a bit gun shy about doing the whole panel. I will certainly exercise even more caution than I normally do (excepting the screws through the radiant heating panels).

Comments (7)