SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_ny_gw

Federal Pacific Main and Sub panel.. DYI?

Dan.NY
10 years ago

I just bought a house that has a 150AMP main and 100 AMP sub Federal Pacific. I know the potential danger and want to replace them. My question is.. I am quite handy and versed in electrical work, mostly DC but have done some AC. If this were DC I wouldnt hesitate to replace myself. Is this a DIY kind of operation? I was planning to swap out the boxes with a new Cuttler Hammer or similar. Label, draw diagrams, take photos and have an excellent picture of what wires need to go where. Just remove all wires, and replace in the new box. Nothing fancy, change like for like.

I thought starting with the sub panel and seeing how it goes. I can turn that off at the main likely. I have an AC meter that lights the end if I have current or not to test to make sure current is not coming in.

After changing this out, I would tackle the main. I dont think there is an outside shutoff, or one before the main so think a call to the power company is needed. SInce its 150, I dont need to bother to go 200 and again hopefully can swap out old box and reattach wires where needed.

Comments??

This post was edited by Dan.NY on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 14:21

Comments (3)