SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessa118_gw

Looking for subjective opinions

tessa118
17 years ago

I am a teacher, dealing with teens everyday quite successfully. I have 2 children. My ex and I agree upon their upbringing. My ex also supports my BF in his use of discipling and demanding respect from our kids. I made this happen and as a result, my kids value, respect and love my boyfriend. There are NO problems on that front.

We have been together close to 4 years. My difficulties lie mainly with his 2 children, although Lord knows I've tried so hard in the beginning. The SD has always been manipulative to a great extent. BF has been unable to discipline her without her fleeing back to her biomom's house. (BF only sees his kids evrey other weekend). SD is now 16 and rarely comes over to visit... but when she does, our house rules really don't apply to her. This is seen as unfair by my 2 children and myself but BF is completely oblivious to her manipulation of rules. She hardly ever comes to visit anymore, citing various excuses.. which is fine by me... a big relief to be honest! BUT the only time she DOES come over is when she either needs something OR is grounded at Biomom's house.

The greatest difficulty lies with my 11 yr old S.S. who after 4 years, still cannot even look me in the eyes. BF says it's because he's so shy, I say b.s.! This child is involved in so much extra-curricular activities that he's become over-scheduled. The end result is that his activities take precedence over any other family plans that we may have. BF and his ex are thrilled this year that he's made it to an AA hockey team. They have been discussing possibilities of S.S. getting hockey scholarships. The child is completely oblivious to anything family-orientated and completely focused on hockey... everything revolves around that. Every other weekend, when he is over, there is hockey every day! This makes it impossible to plan family outings. HOCKEY rules the house. Biomom also has him scheduled for hockey camps, skiing lessons, football during holidays... anything the child wants. BF doesn't see a problem with this at all and cites "but that's what my son WANTS". My 2 children do not get everything they want... his do. My kids keep bringing up how their step-siblings are spoiled and I agree 110%.

End result: my kids give BF respect, bond with him and allow his to discipline them. I support him 200% and demand that much from my kids. His kids show me ZERO respect, have no connection to me and don't really seem to care about my children or I. I tried SUPER hard for the first year or two, but began distancing myself when I became more and more unsuccesful. Boyfriend keeps telling me he has no control over his kids and that his ex-wife is to blame for everything. That is, in my opinion, pure b.s.

For many months now, this has taken its toll on our relationship. I am ready to call it quits. I have discussed all of these issues with the BF but he never has anything meaningful to put forward to ease the compounding problems. He keeps reminding me that he's a great stepdad (which he is and I always give him credit for) and that he wants to work things out. Personally, I was never given a chance to bond with his kids and I'm tired of coming 2nd to manipulation and extra-curricular. Am I being foolish? I need to know!

Comments (5)