SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilysuzanne40

Light at the end of the tunnel

lilysuzanne40
17 years ago

After four years of being cut off and isolated from his family, my dad finally seems to be seeing the light. I feel like crying and laughing all at once.

My dad's brother, from whom he has been estranged since my stepmother came on the scene, went to see him at his workplace yesterday. My dad has been retired for years but suddenly went back to work this past spring. When my uncle visited him, he was greeted with warmth and affection. My dad's message:

1) He loves his children, grandchildren and entire family.

2) His wife is crazy and paranoid and believes the whole world is plotting against her.

3) He was forced to go back to work just so he could have some time to himself. He finds the time he spends at work to be the only freedom he has. Otherwise, she monitors his every activity every second of the day.

4) After years after terrible health, including a surgery to relieve constant pain, he's suddenly feeling better. That seems to coincide with his going back to work, when he started eating his main meal in restaurants instead of food prepared by her. Yes, I know the implications of that, as he does.

And now the down side: Even though he recognizes that she has mental problems and has enforced his estrangement from the world, he's going to stick by her because he believes in sticking to his vows.

As I said, I feel like laughing and crying all at once. I feel sorry for him, terribly sorry, but I'm also glad to know that he doesn't hate anyone.

And finally, a note to all the stepmothers out there who are about to leap to my stepmother's defense: Please don't. I recognize better than you know that most stepmothers are not like my stepmother. She has mental problems. That doesn't mean that all stepmothers are evil or that any of you deserve poor treatment from your new families. No one seems to question the fact that some stepfathers are a toxic influence in their children's life, but for some reason, people are reluctant to recognize the same about stepmothers.

All stepmothers are not created equally. Some are good people caught in bad situations, some have toxic stepchildren, some have weak husbands who are willing to go along to keep the peace ... and some are like mine, mentally ill.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor