SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

crown molding and cabinets--long (sorry)

meg711
17 years ago

I don't know much about this topic so I hope you'll understand if I use the wrong words to describe my problem or if the question is long. Our builder (we bought a spec house) has hired a cabinetmaker to build and install a bookcase. It's built into a nook so that it's up against the two side walls, and the cabinet is recessed a little. The cabinetmaker had put a very nice decorative molding at the top of the cabinet. I don't know how big--probably a three-inch piece, and it was stained to match the bookcase, sort of a teak/cherry. When it was attached, there was another inch or two showing of the top of the bookcase which I liked.

When I went to the house yesterday, the builder had someone putting up crown (or is it cove?) molding in the room with the bookcase. Because the crown molding is so big (five inches?) the builder's guy said that he couldn't put it up near the bookcase with that stained piece there. So he took down the stained piece (the one that the cabinetmaker had made) and put the white five-inch crown molding in this room, even at the top of the bookcase.

I'm not really liking the look for a couple reasons. I liked the original piece. It made the bookcase look like a piece of furniture, which it is. This new bigger piece is almost the same size as the top of the bookcase so it almost looks truncated, especially now that this trim is white. The builder's guy couldn't suggest any alternatives--not that he would have the authority anyway.

I would like to have stained molding or trim at the top of the bookcase and the crown on the rest of the room, and I'd prefer that the bookcase piece be a different design, but I don't know what to suggest or how it would look where the bookcase molding meets the crown. I'd even be okay with the stained piece being that big if it has to. Does anyone have any photos?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)