SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steppschild

I have a question for everyone to ponder - sorry so long

steppschild
15 years ago

I was reading the thread posted below by Sandy, and some of the responses she received. Serenity's comments in particular really made me think about the step family situation. Is there ever a time, after all of the children are self-sufficient adults, that the parents/step parents of these blended families ever have autonomy?

I remember a time in my twenties (I was married and on my own) when my dad and mom took off on a four day road trip. I never called them during the time that they were away, so I had no idea they were even gone (they told my sister). When they returned and told me about their trip, I was kind of miffed that they hadn't told me about their plans prior to leaving. They had no idea how I felt and I wondered why it bugged me so much. I soon realized that I was wrong to be sore at them. They didn't need to check in w/me. They were adults who worked hard and raised their family. They earned and deserved the opportunity to be the autonomous couple they were before they had any kids. I hadn't felt obliged to let them in on all of my plans for quite sometime and I realized a had a dble standard :o(. Obviously there are common courtesies, but that aside...

In the case of the above mentioned post, Serenity's point is very valid, but it seems like with a step family situation someone is often offended because, I guess, no one truly knows where they fit into this blended family. Again, is there ever a time when the couple has any autonomy? Copies of post below.

The original post title:

Very upset over DH birthday party coming up! Opinion Needed.

* Posted by: sandy_at_the_beach on Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 22:49

Portion of Serenity's response:

"Have you ever indicated in all these years, to either DH or SD's, that you'd like to be the one to throw him a party every once in a while (or just once)? How did they react when you discussed it with them previously? Did they say "no way!" or do anything to indicate that you would have to spring it on them, ambush-style, if you wanted to do it? In other words, what prompted you to plan it all without letting them know you were doing so?"

"Of course you shouldn't feel like you CAN'T throw a party for your husband, and if that's literally what everyone told you, that was unfair of them."

"The thing I disagree with is the way you handled it. Clueing them in that you even had an interest in doing this would have been a good start, and this year in particular, you should have said "I know you girls love to throw your Dad his birthday party every year, but I'd like to have a more active role. And after all these years, I'd like to be the one doing the majority of planning for DH's birthday party this year. You're welcome to pitch in, and I'm not trying to 'usurp' the wonderful tradition you've had with him all these years..."

Comments (7)