SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orkid15

epidendrum care/question sorry its long!

orkid15
15 years ago

I was recently given what seems to be a "Reed Stem Epidendrum." Its being held to cork bark by a wire. It was originally a pretty well growing Keiki off a mature Epi.

It was on the brink of falling off the host orchid when my friend carefully removed it and attached it to the cork bark for me. It had two stems, one with about 4-5 leaves on it, the other one bare. The roots are plentiful. I brought it home and placed it in the same area I keep my other orchids (successful phals & dens). Well since then (about 3 weeks) a few of the leaves have browned and fallen off. Im down to 2 leaves. The roots still look fine and other than the browning and fallen leaves the plant seems to be ok, but who really knows.

I thoroughly water it once a week giving ample time for it to dry in between waterings (plus the cork doesn't really absorb much water). Ive fertilized once lightly misting it with diluted 20-20-20 (as recommended) after a good watering. The Epi sits in an area where it gets pretty nice warmth and sunlight in the morning hours but definitely not enough to be burning the leaves (besides i was told they're very tolerant of the sunlight and sturdy orchids in general). I heard some orchids when changed from an environment they may be acclimated to already can go into a sort of "shock" and die? Is this true? or will it just take some time for it to get used to its new area?

Basically I just want to know if im doing anything wrong, what you guys recommend AND how exactly do Epi's grow?

Do they sprout new stems from the base, perhaps out of the existing stem? Any signs i should look for that i should be aware of? Any signs that its starting to grow better?

p.s. God bless everyone and anyone who took the time to read this entire thing! You ROCK!

Comments (7)