SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzukibeane

DIY Built-in-base cabinets?

suzukibeane
18 years ago

I need a gut check please tell me if I am crazy.

I am considering building in my own base cabinet boxes, because I am sick and tired of looking for a reliable finish carpenter to do it for me; the one that I thought would finally come through for me, worked about an hour yesterday, then split, leaving me a note that he had "reconsidered" and wouldn't be doing the job.

I have been remodeling my 80 year old home largely as a DIY project, with professional help on occasion. The kitchen (plan below) was created by combining three spaces, including a former pantry, and I have kept the wall cabinets. I'm doing a period design with inset flush cabinets, a fully integrated dishwasher, and an apron sink.

There are very few base cabinets  besides the dishwasher and sink, there's just one blind corner and one standard base, ending in a wall. Because the house is old and I've combined three spaces into one, a certain amount of jury rigging and shimming would be needed if I used prefabricated carcasses anyway, so I am considering building in base cabinetry boxes, and then letting a finish carpenter (when I finally find one) come and make the face frames, doors and drawers.

I would undertake this by using the standard framing techniques I know from rough carpentry, screwing ledger boards to the wall, and then working off of them, gluing and clamping as I go. I would build little stud walls to hold up the back and sides of the apron sink.

Here are my credentials

1. I have worked in architecture for more than a decade, and recently switched to interior design.

2. I worked as a carpenter's helper for about a year after I graduated from architecture school (Maaaany years ago)

3. While in architecture school, I took a woodworking class, and made a futon bed frame using only a table saw for making joints.

4. I own a miter saw, a table saw, hand saws, a circular saw, a jig saw, a palm sander, some clamps and other basic tools.

5. I did all of the demo and framing so far, including installing a pocket door kit.

6. I created the design

7. I did all of the supply plumbing so far, and have a wonderful plumber who can help with the waste (I don't do waste!)

8. I have an electrician who can power up the dishwasher.

9. My kids are away 'til the end of the summer, and my husband (I love him, but he's NOT handy) is away 'til the end of the week.

Please note: I am not going to make the face frames and doors  just build the boxes as I described above.

I am sick and tired of having no kitchen and no running water on this floor of my house, and I don't care if I have to have plywood counters 'til I find someone to do the face frames, doors and drawers.

Here's the diagram:

The blind corner is a bit more than 4ft; the sink counter is a bit more than 9ft.

Here are some photos

Sink wall:

The spot where the stove will go (former ice box location) and view into next room.

I don't have a recent shot of the blind corner, but I can take one.

Oh, and the sink and dishwasher are on site.

So  crazy? Or is this a great idea?

Comments (5)