SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sobeadit

redoing coffee table....popped the center part out....help!

18 years ago

Hi, I had a coffee table, just your basic kind from cost plus or some such store, and it didn't fit anywhere in the house so i started using it outside on the patio where it worked beautifully. well of course wind and weather took its toll, and the center square of the table ,which looked like wood slats but was just a veneer over particle board, got moldy and warped and pulled away from wher it sat in the "ledging thing" bordered by the 4 real wood parts of the table. So I popped it out and sanded the real wood parts and was thinking i could maybe lay a new some kind of surface in the center on those little ledge-things, and maybe put stone or tile in the center.

question is, WHAT should i lay there that I can tile on top of? I don't want the center part to stick up way to much, but what surface is that thin that I could lay there and it would be strong enough to hold the tile? Or someone have any other ideas for what I could do in the center? Glass is an option but I prefer something more interesting. the wood around the edges is maybe 5 inches wide or 6, and is kind of maple or pecan colored, and it has black iron feet.

any ideas?

Comment (1)