SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjh53

What redo would you do?

sjh53
8 years ago

Since moving and then moving in our 50s ranch way back in '79, I have wanted to enlarge and update the kitchen. In the mid 90s, I replaced the original cabinets with new inexpensive cabinets to get me by until I did the big remodel. A few years later, we replaced surface mount lights with recessed cans. Another 20 years have gone by, the kids are gone, and it's just DH and me.

What do I want in my kitchen?

1. Real wood cabinets (NO MDF) with more drawers, and more efficient storage overall.

2. Upgraded counters that can handle hot pans. (I have laminate.)

3. Undermount sink

4. Remove three layers of flooring and install either hardwood to match rest of house or a tile.

Here's the current kitchen:

I do like the original V joint vertical paneling on the walls, and love the view looking out my kitchen windows... I can see my barn and my horses' faces waiting for me to come feed them each morning.

Here is a sketch of the current layout:

The breakfast nook was originally a porch, so the wall between the kitchen and it is load bearing. In the 90s we did enlarge the opening, from 3' to 6'6"

While many people think having the laundry in the kitchen is the worst, I actually like it there. Besides, I really don't see a good place to move it, unless it was to the other end of the original porch.

So, now that we have the resources, I am debating just how much improvement to do. One plan I have come up with is to take out part of a wall to take in an unused hall and reconfigure the layout. However, no matter how I design it, I don't end up with much more storage and counter space, and exchange the island for a peninsula with seating. Not sure the cost of doing this is worth what I would gain.

Things I like about this plan:

1. Direct deck access

2. Peninsula counter with room for bar stools.

3. Sitting area by window

4. Utilizing wasted hall space.

So what redo would you do? Utilize the existing layout with updated cabinets, floor and counter tops, or blow out the wall and reconfigure? Do you see other options I have missed?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource