SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westminster_gw

Question about old BX cable (copper/aluminum)

westminster
14 years ago

Hi. I am embarking on my first electrical project in our new house (replacing a light fixture). When I removed the old light fixture, I discovered that the wiring in the ceiling is old metal BX cable with two rubber-insulated conductors that are sheathed in cloth. The wire itself is dull gray on the outside but appears to be solid copper on the inside. Our house was built in 1906 but I am guessing that the wiring is from the 1940's because that's when the last time major renovations were done on the house.

Yesterday I went to Radio Shack with a bit of the wire to ask them for comparable wire to make some pigtails. (There are several cables passing through the fixture box that were not well-connected -- I was planning to re-splice them with new wire when I connect the new fixture.) The salesperson there told me that the wire was actually aluminum and that I should really call an electrician because connecting aluminum to new copper wire can be very hazardous, and at the very least, I should use special wire caps and a reactive paste.

I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about, but now I'm confused because to me the wire looks like solid copper, with only a thin dull gray covering, and I also thought the hazardous kind of aluminum wiring dates to the seventies rather than to the forties, which is when I think that my wiring is from. Does anyone have experience with the type of wiring in my house? Is it true that there's aluminum in the wire or is that just the way copper wire from that period looks? Do you anticipate any problems connecting this wire to modern 14 gauge solid copper wire, or can I just treat it like regular copper wire? Is it really necessary to call in an electrician, or can I handle this on my own?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Comments (7)