SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_3tadpoles

Am I in over my head? Newbie post

mom_of_3tadpoles
16 years ago

Hello all,

I love all the great advice on other gardenweb forums, and thought I'd tap into this one. I'm a room mom at my child's Catholic school and am responsible for a class project that is to be sold at the school's fundraising auction. I'd love to do a great project that will raise a lot of money. When looking for ideas, I stumbled upon the Mary mosaic pictured below and fell in love with it. I know something like this would be very popular.

Am I crazy to attempt it? I'm not very creative, but have an artist friend who could draw it out for us. I consulted with the woman who runs a local glass studio and she seemed to think it would be no big deal. As it's a class project, the kids (12 years old) would have to do some of the work, but not all. My thinking was to do all the glass cutting and artwork in advance, and just have the kids glue and place the tiles, then I would grout it later. I'm thinking we'd use weather-treated plywood as the base surface. Is this an appropriate surface, or is there something better? I know I'd need to prepare it for hanging before we mosaic. As for size, I'm thinking approximately poster-sized. I'm worried about the weight for hanging. Am I on the right track? Does anyone have any resources for similar religious art, but perhaps simpler? Can I buy pre-cut tile squares online to reduce the amount of cutting necessary? Can I possibly get it done by February? Any other suggestions for a simpler project, if this is too much? All ideas welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

- Andrea

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Mosaic

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County