SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hestia_flames

Can glass be inserted into routed mdf?

hestia_flames
14 years ago

Hi, this is my first post in the woodworking forum. My dh and I have been installing second hand QuakerMaid kitchen cabinets. We have cut butcher block and installed it, and are getting pretty handy with tools. We knew that when we installed the cabinets that we would be replacing the doors, however we are now tight with our budget, and it will be a couple of years before we can replace the doors via Scherr's. We have two options:

Purchase Ikea Adel doors in the "As Is" section, (for about $8 a piece) take apart the wood frames (instructions on Ikea site), cut to fit our cabinets where needed, re-glue, paint and install. We would need new hinges to create the correct overlay - we could also create glass doors with this style. I feel confident in doing this.

The cost to us with be about $500 total, including new hinges, paint, etc.

Second choice is gluing lathing onto the current cabinet doors. They are 80's style, with GOLD beading that I have patiently pulled out - we had thought about adding wood filler in the left over channel, but it does not look "finished" - I have added wood lathing strips around the thin inside frame on one of the doors, and have achieved a somewhat paneled look. We both prefer the Adel door style, but also like the idea of reusing what we have. However, we are at a disagreement over the glass doors that I would like. If we go this route, I believe that we should purchase frames for the glass in a similar narrow frame style - the current doors (QuakerMaid) are wood frames with MDF panels - the solid wood frames are narrow, and in the back you can see where the current hinges (european, 35mm) are half-way over the MDF, and halfway on the wooden frames. My husband thinks that I could attach the wood strips to the front of the MDF doors, and rout out enough of the MDF panel to hold glass panels. I do not think that will work because in order to have the MDF panel hold the glass, it will hold the glass out behind the wood strips that I add, leaving an odd gap. I don't think it would look good, and I am not sure if it is safe. DH just said that instead of gluing the strips, we could finish nail/glue the strips on, then route. What should we be concerned about? I don't feel confident with this.

I am attaching two photos - one of our "baking area" where you can see the doors below (they look worse in real life) and the door where I glued lathing on to give it the impression of a paneled door. (It is in two different colors of paint as a test of color.) With ordering a few glass doors, it would be within $50 of the Adel doors. If I route the doors myself for glass, it would be closer to us spending $300, reusing the old hinges.

Baking Area - Old doors Below

Old Door with Lathing Attached (disregard two different colors)

Any and all comments appreciated.

ps, the link is to the Ikea Adel style we would take apart, cut, put back together & paint - we can't do this with the white, only with any of the wood doors, which are solid wood with thin mdf panel. It would be fairly straightforward to add glass to this door, using a rabbit edge, as it is an all wood frame.

Thank you all for your help and opinions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adel Door we would paint

Comments (7)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional