SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minac_gw

Help, contractor put primer on wood Pella Doors

18 years ago

I also posted this in the remodeling forum to get feedback.

Anyway, my kitchen/dining room addition has been going more a less smoothly. I've have been trying to not sweat the small stuff. However, I almost keeled over when I noticed the painters put paint primer all over the brand new wood Designer Series Pella French Doors. Why, oh why would you paint unfinished wood french doors without taking the 2 seconds to check with the GC - or why would the GC not make a point to tell them, the doors are to be STAINED not painted! Anyway, the General Contractor wants to strip the door and sand it. Then of course he will have to stain it to match the kitchen cabinet color, light sanding, and put a polyurethane. I need it straight, will I be happy with the final outcome? I know there isn't that much wood on the interior - can it handle having the primer taken off plus putting on the stain and having the light sanding? I don't want to be unreasonable and have the GC replace the door if it doesn't need to be. However, I don't want him to cut corners to "save" the door and have the end product not be up to snuff.

Comments (2)