SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wlachan

2 Pella problems need help

wlachan
18 years ago

This is the first time I have posted here. I have searched and read most of the related posts but have not found the answer so hopefully somebody might be able to help.

Our house is about 16 years old and we have rotten woods at the corners (sill) on 3 particular fixed Pella windows. We headed to the local Pella store asked for help and was promised twice but the manager never came. We have grown tried of their disappointing service and need to find some answers quick. So what could be the problem of rotten wood? I have inspected the windows myself and suspect it's the rain water being trapped underneath the outer metal cover and eventually works its way in. For all 3 windows with rotten wood on the inside, I have noticed some recessed bare woods on the outside are not sealed (but all other Pella windows I have inspected are). Could the windows be not properly sealed during manufacturing causing this problem? I have tried to sealed them off myself on the outside and the moisture seems stopped for 2 windows, but the last one keeps growing some fungus.

Another very weird problem I have noticed is one particular window (also the one with rotten wood) has a distorted outer glass. It's like being sucked from the inside and looks convex from the outside. That wall has 5 Pella windows in a row and only the middle one is like this. In fact the centre of the outer glass touches the inner glass. What may cause this problem? Was the sill being rotten so badly it loses its support and compress the window frame? The inner glass doesn't seem to suffer from any distortion but I have a very bad feeling on this. But since I know next to nothing about home repair, any expertise is much appreciated.

Comments (20)