SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmi331

New Panel Needed?

emmi331
16 years ago

I decided to call another electrical contractor today, as I was not happy with the service of my former one, which had been sold to new people. I needed a light switch repaired and a new light fixture installed over the bathroom sink. The new company is licensed, bonded, insured, etc., and sent a master electrician to do the job. He did a good job, but actually spent more time trying to sell me their products and services, starting with a yearly maintenance contract, which I did not want. They had a service charge, which included his inspecting the electrical system in my house; I had not asked for this. I was not surprised (because now I expected it!)when he found things wrong - some corrosion in the fuse box and not everything in the house is grounded. This was followed by their price list - to totally replace the fuse panel and do the grounding would cost some $1500. I did not agree to have any of the work done, but I don't know whether to be annoyed or concerned. Should I put out the money to call a second inspector? Since I know zippo about electrical wiring, etc., you could tell me anything about my house (which is an older one, admittedly, though the fuse box is not ancient), and I would not know whether to believe it or not. All I wanted was a simple repair and light installation, and I ended up with a 3-ring circus. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (9)