SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

removing tung oil

funkill
18 years ago

Hi all ... I have a question ... anyone know how to remove tung oil? About 10 yrs ago, I refinished a hand-me-down 60+ yr old cherry dining set. It'f original finish was stained a very dark color and I wanted it a natural cherry. This was my first refinishing project and I used Formby's as suggested by friends. I was very pleased with the results. And although the cherry probably isn't the best quality - in that there's a lot of sap wood, I love it. At that time, my friends also suggested finishing it with tung oil. I think I put on about 3 coats - and never touched it again. Just recently I actually started "using" the pieces and notice that it is in desperate need of a real finish. It looks like there is no protection left whatsoever --- and it acts that way too (easily absorbs water from glasses, etc). So, I'd like to give it a more protective finish and I got a suggestion from another form about using poly - which I'd love to do, but don't know how (or if) I need to remove any reminants of the tung oil. Anyone have any advice on how to tackle this?

Comments (10)