SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Color changes in Eastern white pine - what to expect?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I have pine trim throughout my house. Doors and casings are radiata, stools and jambs are white pine. So far a very light coat of Minwax Honey Maple gel stain is getting everything close to same honey brown/orange color, though the radiata tends more to yellow that's OK b/c it's on a different plane than the white pine. But I pulled out the stools from 3 windows in a bumpout bay (the center stool went all the way to corners but it looked strange with side stools just inches away and at slightly different height), my cousin made me a continuous stool of of white pine, 2 different boards.

Now the center board took stain really orange, the sides (same piece of 8ft stock) is yellower with gray streaks (and this was the best one I could find at lumberyard, not big box!), I got one to get close to same as center, other is still lighter. All of it is orange without the brown tint that the original stools (that I stained only a few months ago, but had been exposed to sunlight for 2 years) have. The jambs are brownish-orange too, match the old stools.

Now, should I finish the stool and install it? Will the color get more brown and eventually come close to jamb color? Or should I let it sit in sun for a month or so before I finish it?

Or is sunlight just going to turn the pine more yellow/orange and am I going to have to glaze it with something (penetrating stain on top of the gel?) to nudge it toward brown tone?

Comments (3)