SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenity_now_2007

'Modelling a Good Relationship'

serenity_now_2007
15 years ago

Both Doodle's recent post about the sewing conversation with her SD's and the posts this past week about how infidelity and divorce affects children prompt me to think further on something in my own stepfamily situation that's been bothering me for a while but that I don't REALLY know how to feel about it or what should have/could have been handled differently. Basically, it's that virtually every single time I visit my father in recent years, especially lately, he feels the need to tell me at least once that he has never cheated on my stepmother. And I am finding myself rather sick of hearing it. At the same time, I don't think at all that my dad's intentions are to be hurtful (I'm pretty sure that they are an attempt, however less-than-ideal, to assuage his guilt over having cheated on my biological mother ---which was the partial cause of their divorce--- and/or to somehow convince me that my SM is a "worthy" wife, deserving of his fidelity after all, whom I should trust and admire). I also am quite sure that I would have no problem hearing my mom proudly say that she has never cheated on my stepfather, or my stepfather proudly say that he has never cheated on my mom. I'm well aware that I probably have a built-in bias to not enjoy hearing about my dad's loyal fidelity to a woman who has treated me with contempt and resented my very existence for the last 14 years and can't be bothered to wash a dish or a load of laundry for him even as he is terminally ill... especially knowing that he did not think my own mother worthy of the same fidelity. So yeah, I know I'm biased. But I'm finding that my reaction to my dad's attempt to "model a good relationship" is exactly the opposite of what he most likely hopes it will be, and that even though I have never EVER held a grudge against him before for having cheated on my mother, that I am starting to do so now that he is reporting his fidelity to SM over and over... to me.

I'm wondering if this is all just my problem to "get over", if my own circumstances and bias is what's eating at me about it, or if in blended families there are just some very real pitfalls to the blanket application of:

---"Modelling a Good Relationship"---

You hear this slogan bandied about a lot as an element of and justification for the whole "marriage first"/"united front" Dr. Dobson-esque parenting philosophy, the logic going something like:

"You have to put the marriage first and be a united front because it's beneficial for the kids to see what a good relationship looks like."

And you hear this being applied not only to intact families but to subsequent blended families with new marriage partners. And I think this is a very tricky issue when the specific nature and issues of blended families are not taken into account. On the one hand, of course, it is beneficial for kids to see good relationships. (For example, in my situation, it wouldn't be good to know that my dad HADN'T been faithful to my SM.) On the other hand, the blended family situation may present variables that could potentially undo the "benefit" and create more problems.

The question is how can "modelling a good relationship" in a second marriage be done in a way that does not create the opposite effect in kids? If the intention is to show them a "good relationship" so that they, too, can feel like they deserve one, then presumably they should NOT wind up REALLY feeling that some people are more worthy than others and feel more likely to be among the UNworthy than the worthy as a matter of genetics.

How can the positive results of "modelling a good marriage" be maximized while the negative potential is minimized? What are bad and good ways of phrasing certain things? What things should be said, and how, and how often, and in what contexts? Are there circumstances in which certain things just shouldn't be said at all?

Discuss!

Comments (6)