SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

How to take out one section of built-in-place custom cabinets

tanama
18 years ago

My house was built in the 60's by someone who was a professional cabinetmaker, and he built in a beautiful section of custom kitchen cabinets.

Now I'm going to attempt a remodel to put a dishwasher in place of one of those cabinets. Here's a not too great pic to show you what I mean. The dishwasher's going to replace the far left cabinet.

{{!gwi}}

I have several questions:

the cabinet we're taking out is on the end, next to the stove. The stove could be moved several inches one way or the other, and I'm trying to figure out if I have the stove immediately next to the cabinet (as it is now), will I need to keep the outside wall of the cabinet intact, or can take that out and just have the ouside of the dishwasher up against the outside of the stove?

The biggest challenge is going to be with cutting out the cabinet front in an way that looks good. If you look at the space between the left drawer (to be removed for dishwasher) and the panel in front of the sink, I'll need to cut that piece of wood pretty much down the middle, and it will need to look good. Ideally I'd remove it and cut it that way but I'm not certain that's going to be an easy task. If I decided to try and cut it in place, what tool can I best rely on to help me keep a straight line? I'm going to have the same issue on top, since the dishwasher height is about 3/4" lower than the bottom of the countertop, so I'm presuming that I'll need to leave a strip of wood there.

If I'm making any sense whatsoever, please someone help me figure out how to make this work!

thanks,

Leslie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals