SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdam_gw

Opinions Wanted - Entry and Patio Door

bdam
9 years ago

So I've been doing 'some' research to replace the three main entry ways to my house: my patio door, front door, and the entry door from my garage. I'm in west Michigan. Reading the threads on this and the remodel forum had me seek out certain brands. Clearly, there's little love for anything sold from a big-box store and the consensus is that better products can be had for almost the same price elsewhere. The figures below are for the door only, no installation. I'll have them quote out installation but I actually want to install them; not to just save money but because I'm just wired that way. The only brands I couldn't get a figure on was Home-Guard. I couldn't find anyone willing to give me a price for the door only or even a ballpark over the phone based on my measurements. Maybe that's unfair of me but when trying to pull together as many quotes as I have there's was not thought of scheduling everyone to come and look.

Patio Slider (w U/Air Infiltration rates):
Polaris Ultraweld (.30/.10): $519
Kolbe Latitude (.29/.15): $733
Solaris Everest(0.33/SD-R40): $940
Integrity All-Ultrex (.29/.15): $1,110
Windsor Pinnacle Clad (.32/.23): $1,260
Sunrise (.30/.12): $1,281
Solaris Garden: $1,330
Kolbe Ultra (.32/.17): $1,704
Anderson 200 Narrowline: $1,880
Martin Ultra: $2,200

Garage Entry (No Window):
Masonite Steel (24g): $220
Therma-Tru Fibreglass: $236
Milliken Majestic Steel (24g): $241
Therma-Tru Steel (24g): $262
Polaris Ultra Steel (22g): $303
Kolbe Ultra Fibreglass: $522

Front Entry (Small 1/2 Moon window):
Masonite Steel (24g): $220
Therma-Tru Smooth Star Fibreglass: $274
Milliken Majestic Steel (24g): $283
Milliken Majestic Fiberglass: $283
Polaris Ultra Fiberglass: $368
Therma-Tru Steel (24g): $390
Kolbe Ultra Fibreglass: $604
Provia Legacy Steel (20g): $794
Provia Heritage Fiberglass: $1,135

For the slider, the Polaris looks like a pretty dang good value though I haven't seen it in person yet. I did see the Integrity and was impressed. I know one of the regulars here mentions they have poor air infiltration rates but the figure I found (0.15) didn't seem too out of line. I really love the top-mounted screen so the Sunrise is in the running as well and has great performance numbers.

On the entry doors, I'm leaning towards the Polaris doors since the steel door is 22 gauge. Maybe this is misplaced, but that makes me think they make an above-average Fibreglass door as well. Yes, I'm sure the Provia's are the best but my house simply isn't worth doors of that calibre/price.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks,
Bryan

Comments (30)