SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
provenance_gw

Flooring for basement playroom?

provenance
14 years ago

Another "challenge" area for us...

We have an almost-2-year old daughter and 7 year old son, and are getting ready to move in our new house. We are going to have a play area in basement with most of the "active" toys. My daughter is an especially active toddler and we want to do some kind of padding on the floor. She needs lots and lots of movement and so we're going to give her space to run around and also a "crash" area.

The basement is onlypartially finished -- just painted drywall on walls and moisture barrier. We're going to put an underlayment on top of the concrete (to cut down moisture)...and then what?

I've seen some 24" x 24" square foam playmats you can put together. How thick should they be? Do they hold up? They come in different colors. Or what about like indoor-outdoor carpet? Is there a place to get it inexpensively? I saw it this afternoon in an indoor playplace. It was a nice dark green color (our daughter has low vision, so this would help her see the toys better). (In the toddler area today they actually had it over 2" foam sheets, a nice idea if only not $).

Any thoughts would be much welcomed...

Amy

Comments (2)