SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vistajpdf

Will I be resented in the future years?

vistajpdf
16 years ago

Friends,

I have been thinking about my SS lately. It appears he isn't coming - mixed emotions there as you may well know. But, I'm also a little miffed by something and have been pondering how it will impact my marriage in the future.

Our mutual friend who is in infrequent contact w/ SS spoke to DH and I last week. She said, "Well, he said he is going to call you (looking at DH), and I guess he's afraid to face you (looked at me) so he's still playing this game, hiding out, not doing much of anything else..."

I later asked her just why he's afraid of me. She said that the last time the two of them were over to our place together, before the fire when we were living in our office, she had said that someone asked him when he was going to get a job, and that I chimed in to some degree and said, "Well, yeah, most men your age DO join the work force." Also, she said that he's embarrassed about the student loan that he's shafted me on - just not embarrassed enough to want to work and pay it off himself.

OK, so I guess he's 'mad' at me for inquiring about his failure to work. In real life, I'm pretty mild to the skids - I know I get angered here and vent a lot, but I've so rarely ever spoken my mind to them that I really feel as though he's hunting for a reason to stay away, not be responsible, etc.

My question is this - and maybe the bioparents can answer best: If you had a spouse who was cited as the reason your child had estranged him/herself from you, even if your spouse was never in the wrong, would you still resent your spouse down the road? I think I would! I have to be honest - I'd wish like heck the loan hadn't been cosigned for (though I'd now, no doubt, be the reason he didn't finish school had I not signed.) But, it appears that the guy has given me as a reason to be avoiding 'us.' However, I have repeatedly told his sisters, mother, and father that while the loan is a lot of money, it is not worth losing your family over and that I'd be thrilled if he got himself together and gradually started assuming some responsibility for it. Not sure what else to do.

I've often heard that money tears families apart - that loaning money is a huge no-no. My g-father cosigned for me - naturally I paid it all back myself, grateful for the chance to get through dental school.

So, I doubt anyone would actually side w/ SS's rationale, excuses, or whatever, but still, if I am the major reason he can't face us, will DH resent me in the future? So far, I have not sensed this and DH has admitted to doing the guy no service by the enabling, and certainly doesn't blame me for anything. I was just a little surprised that the mutual friend looked at me when discussing his being uncomfortable coming home...

Any thoughts? I really can't do anything if I wanted to and am still swaying between pity, worry and anger regarding him.

Dana

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH