SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hdclown

Shopping for windows, need some advice on these brands/prices

hdclown
17 years ago

I've spoke with 4 local companies. 3 of them have been in business over 20 years, and one of them about 10.

I'm in Orlando, FL. I have 8 windows and 2 sliding glass doors. Window sizes are: 3 @ 37x77, 1 @ 37x50, 1 @ 53x50, 1 @ 37x50, 1@ 53x38, 1 @ 53x38, 1 @ 50x68 (slider), 1 @ 60x68 (slider)

I've priced aluminum and vinyl, and results are as follows, all prices are installed. Home is wood/stucco construction.

PGT Aluminum, Single Hung, 4000 series, single hung, dual pane insulated, low E on all windows, removable sash - $6100

PGT Vinyl, Single Hung, 5400 series(?), dual pane, low E on all windows, tilt in sash - $7600

Silver Line Vinyl, Single Hung, 2700 series, dual pane, argon filled, low E on all windows, tild in sash - $5225

Milestone Aluminum, Single Hung, 2000 series, dual pane insulated, low E on all windows, tilt in sash - $6000

I also have a price of $6500 for another aluminum product, but I don't know the brand. I having a feeling it's PGT again. I've gotten a price on Simonton Vinyl at about $7500-7800 as well.

The company that sells Silver Line is a dealer of 22 different brands of windows. He can do PGT and Simonton to name a few other popular names, but I did not get prices.

The Silver Line at $5225 for Vinyl is, by far, the best deal. The windows are life time warrantied and the installer has been in business 25 years and offers a lifetime warranty on the labor. If there's a problem, they'll handle it for me, which is something no one else is offering.

I don't know much about Silver Line windows. The guy told me they are owned by Andersen and it's a full featured window with block and tackle balances, cam locks, meeting rails, fusion welded frame and sash, and it meets Florida Building Code, as well as the more stringent Miami-Dade

County window requirements.

My windows stay closed and locked a good 300 day out of of the year, if not more. I just want them to have good insulating properties to keep my A/C in and the sun out. I want them to look nice and stay nice. Would these be a decent investment?

I'm not looking to spend the $7500-8000 that PGT Vinyl and Simonton Vinyl is demanding. I like the $5000-6000 range, so if I didn't do Silver Line vinyl, I'd probably go with PGT Aluminum. I prefer the look of Vinyl, but I don't want to blow $5k on low low quality stuff either.

Comments (5)