SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
synrgystyk

Questions on Refinishing Antique Heart Pine

synrgystyk
16 years ago

I posted this on another forum, but thought I'd also ask here since there seems to be pretty regular traffic....

So I've spent the last few months reading various home improvement, DIY, woodworking, and home repair forums. It's been a very educational (and confusing) experience -- one I'm masochistic enough to want to continue. ;-)

In June 2006 we bought an 1890-ish Victorian with wood floors (oak downstairs, heart pine upstairs) and mostly intact original -- painted *blech* -- woodwork. One of our current projects is redecorating the "new" master bedroom and that includes stripping all of the heart pine trim. Through a combination of infrared and chemicals, I'm down to the last window (the trim anyway -- renovating the windows is a whole 'nother project!) and am soon going to need to decide on a finish (or finishing process).

I've read lots of stuff online and perused several stacks of books from my local library. I'm pretty sure the original finish -- which I'd like to replicate for the most part -- on the wood was shellac. However, other than using shellac, I'm floundering in a sea of information overload. Help!!

My boyfriend would like to make the trim a few shades darker than the floor. We both really like the color variation and graining in the antique heart pine, so while I don't mind darkening the wood, I also don't want to obscure the graining. I was thinking about using a variation on one of Glen Huey's recipes and processes from the Popular Woodworking site:

1. Sand through 180

2. Moser's "Golden Amber Maple" or or "Natural Antique" water-soluble aniline dye

3. Sand any raised grain

4. Boiled Linseed Oil

5. Dewaxed Garnet Shellac

Questions:

*Does this recipe/process sound like it'll work to give us the darker trim while bringing out the wood's grain?

*Does anyone have any pics of antique heart pine finished with a similar process -- specifically of using dye and then BLO? (I'm a bit short on sample boards since antique heart pine doesn't exactly grow on trees anymore. Sorry, couldn't resist. )

*I've read a lot about the propensity of pine to blotch with staining or dyeing: is this also a problem with antique heart pine? If so, do I need to first use a sealer coat of clear/blonde/whatever shellac?

*Any ideas of total finishing time? Should I plan to thin the BLO to speed drying?

*Any other comments/hints/suggestions/cautions?

I know I've probably left out or misstated plenty of information, so please feel free to ask questions. Oh, and thanks for the help!!

Lorree

Comments (11)