SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rippey_gw

Plain, simple, honest and direct...

rippey
15 years ago

I'm not sure about forum etiquette...do I reply to people's comments within my own post or do I go to "their" journal for further discussion on their notes or if I just want to simply thank them for their input?? I feel so inadequate...lol.

Anyways, I'm sure I will learn as time goes on but thanks to all of you who have replied so promptly...

Someone left me a note and asked me what was bothering me today? And it kind of made me smile because I was thinking..."what ISN'T bothering me today?". I guess I will get back to that in a minute.

I joined this forum today because I am at my wits end on how to cope...I'm currently in counseling (and it's not my first time at that rodeo) but I have gone to counseling for myself and my husband and I have gone off and on to various therapists for the past 10 years. We're professional therapist goer's...it's embarrassing.

I consider myself a pro-active person both personally and professionally. I'm not a reactor and I've realized that my whole marriage is about reaction...reaction to bills that get thrown at me out of left field...reactions to change in visitation schedules, reactions to decisions that are made without my input and I blame my husband for that. I'm constantly blind sided and I'm the type of person that always has her fingers on the pulse...forever anticipating the next move. And this style of parenting by my husband and his ex is foreign to me and I struggle with trying to conform to it. It's like I can be "me" in 65% of my life but the other 35% of my life is left up to chance.

My personality is pretty plain, simple, honest and direct. I'm probably the hardest on myself and I am hard on the ones I love. I give appreciation, respect and love hard to those I love and I expect the same in return. And that is the crux of the problem...my step-daughter does not love me. Not even close.

I've read tons of articles, read books and listened to tons of therapists who tell me..."you just need to let it go and not try so hard" and that concept is so foreign to me it's like asking me to eat with my right hand...I just can't do it. I can try, but it's clumsy, it's awkward and it just doesn't feel right. I'm left handed dammit!!!

So that's what's bothering me today...my step-daughter doesn't like me and no matter how hard I try, she doesn't want to love me back and it's breaking my heart.

Comments (11)