SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zapata68

He has kids & doesn't want more - I have none & want to try

zapata68
16 years ago

I need some advice from people who might have been through something similar. I am in love with a man who is divorced with two kids. The 10 year old girl lives with her mum (she now has a 4 year old to her new husband) and the 14 year old boy lives with his dad.

I have been single for about three years and don't meet men who strike me too often at all. I have been with this man for 6 months and love his kids. He is such a wonderful caring man and father and does everything for his children.

I am 39 and he is 40. I just never met a man who I loved enough to settle down with and have kids until now. I have done a lot of things in my life and travelled. I move around a lot and don't have a permanent home. My girlfriends are all just now starting to have kids (in their late 30s) and I am feeling so clucky and want to try to have just one child.

I didn't feel I could bring this up with him until now. I asked him about the child thing two days ago and he told me he absolutely would not have another child and that he wants to have a vasectomy. I am shattered and don't know what to do. What I have done is break up with him but I am a mess now. I had planned a life with this man, I was willing to move to where he lives (6 hours from where I am) and accept his kids. We love each other very much. He just doesn't want to go through it again.

What do I do? If I did stay with him I think I would end up resenting him for shutting this door on me. What if we break up when I'm 45 after I decided to not have kids? I feel I have no option but to break up with him. I will resent him if I stay with him but the other option is that I may not be able to have children (I know time is running out fast), I may not meet someone else and I have thrown away a relationship with a beautiful man and his kids.

I'm so torn up and would love some advice.

Comments (13)