SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zbrennan

New construction vs. Replacement

zbrennan
9 years ago

I have spent countless hours on here and other websites doing research about replacement windows. I've learned a ton, but there is something I haven't seen discussed on here.

How do you recommend to install replacement windows? I know majority of the places that have given me quotes are going to use the replacement style, cut the flange, and slide a new window in that opening.

I think I found the product I want (Sunrise) and the installer I want. I will be purchasing 14 double hung windows and a 6' sliding patio door. He told me he installs windows by removing the siding and completely removing the window and putting a new construction style window in. That way he can seal the window much better and use zip tape to tie it in to the house wrap. This has to be the better install method, right?

The other issue is price. Using this method seems like it's more expensive (definitely more labor). The quote I have for the windows is $820 per window installed (Standard Sunrise with double pane glass upgraded to Ultra-U plus 12). I am also getting a new sliding patio door (same specs as windows) and it will be just under $1800.

Sound accurate considering new construction style and Ultra U plus 12?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus