SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Question about really cheap piece of furniture....

catherinet
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I can't believe how much work I have to do, because someone at the factory didn't do their quality control job very well. We're going to remodel our kitchen someday in the future. I have no storage now, so I have bought several single pieces of furniture that would help with our kitchen storage needs. At Menards I found a 5' tall cabinet, 32" wide, that's oak veneer on wood composite. It has 2 doors. It actually looks pretty good and seems sturdy. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't nearly what I would have had to pay for a nice piece.

This box of parts must have weighed over several hundred pounds. I got it home and opened it up and everything looked good except for the doors, which have 3 panels each. Some idiot piece-mealed the veneer together and it looked awful. I called Menards, and they guy said to just bring back the doors........which I did. Their boxes were almost to the ceiling and it required a forklift to get one down. They opened it up and the door was made well, but now that I've gotten it home, it's much lighter than the rest of the cabinet! What a drag.

I just can't keep doing this back and forth thing with all this heavy stuff. I think if I take this back and get another one, I could run into some other problem. Is there any way to darken the doors, even if they have polyurethane on it? Thanks for listening to me whine.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH