SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammygrierson

windows...replacement vs. new construction

grammygrierson
17 years ago

Hello, and thank you to anyone that has the time, and expertise to respond to this question.

My dilemma, is that I have to replace all of the windows in my home, that I had almost completely destroyed by fire, over 5 years ago.

My kitchen window is the one that I'm the most concerned about, because I don't know how to go about this.

I know how to do the 'replacement' windows...no problem. Unfortunately, the framing, (on the kitchen window), that the replacement would slide into, is so severely charred, that there's nothing that I could really screw into, if using a 'replacement' window. I thought that I'd just go 'new construction', but have never done one of those, and upon checking, realized that I would have to remove the siding on the house to get at the nailed in flange (or, whatever, I can't remember what it's all called, but anyone who knows windows, will know what I'm talking about!)

Is there some way for me to replace just the damaged framing? Or, perhaps, should I just reinforce the frame, by inserting new wood on top of the old frame, and securing it at all of the points that are not severely charred? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks so much!

Grammy

Comment (1)