SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galeforce_gw

Stripping paint off of beams

GaleForce
19 years ago

Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old house arts and crafts house and I need some feedback.

The whole interior has incredible solid beams throughout. The living room actually opens up two stories to exposed 18x18 inch beams. Other rooms have beams that are about 9x9, most of which are painted. The few that aren't painted tempt me constantly to attempt to strip some of the painted beams.

We are painting our bedroom this summer. It has 10 9x9 beams that are about 18 feet long. They have three coats of paint, the top coat is oil-based about 20 years old and very good quality. The middle coat is a very poor quality thin paint, likely water based. The under coat is anybody's guess.

Would I be absolutely out of my mind to take on this project? If so, I'll be putting two more coats on it, so I figure this is the time to be crazy.

If it's not crazy, are there any new-fangled tools or products to assist me? I have stripped furniture with stripper and a scraper. That's the extent of my experience.

Thank you all.

Amanda

Comments (13)