SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_in_fl

Bar Top

19 years ago

OK, so here I am, 3/4ths of my bar built. No plans, just winging it, and it's looking good so far.

I'm thinking about the bar top. What I've got in my mind is Parade, (or Mardi Gras) beads embedded in the plastic look.

Went to my local Big Box store and the Info person had no clue, the paint guy had no clue, but some Good Old Boys (hanging in the stain isle, and also building a bar) said I just needed to pour some polyurethene and it would harden up. (yeah, my 'plan' calls for an edge around the bar top to accommodate the fill stuff)

Research on the net led me to an epoxy stuff that will do what I want. $80 a gallon!!!! Poly = $25 a gallon.

So, my questions are:

Will the polyurethane work? I'm not concerned about drying time, but the Good Old Boys suggested putting in in layers and letting it dry, then pouring in another layer, etc. till I got it thick enough since it was such a thick coat I wanted.

At $80 a gallon, if I need to use the epoxy resin stuff, how much would I need to order??? Planning on really tightly filling up the space w/beads ranging from 3/16 - 7/16", so a good 1/2" or a little better would be required (I think). Total bar top area will be 19 sq ft, but I don't know how to figure for displacement of the beads.

Any guesstimates on drying time for either method would be appreciated.

Anybody have any experience with this,or any other ideas??

Comments (9)