SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craigericnicholson

Bar top cracking and separating

Hello,
I've been told by a trusted friend that the forum is filled with an amazing group of experts. I come to you needing advice as a 1st time homebuilder. I am feeling less than in control of my situation and would very much appreciate some advice. I want to do what is best for both myself and also fair and reasonable for my builder. Not sure if this matters, but the home is in the one million dollar range. This builder has a solid reputation, but we've butted heads quite a bit. I think that is normal though. I am somewhat young for building such a home, 36yo when we broke ground. I at times feel he's trying to take advantage due to my inexperience/age. I was hoping to come away from the process with much more of a a "warm" feeling about the experience.

I live in the North East, Pittsburgh to be exact. I closed on my new construction in November. Long story short, I wasn't pleased with quite a few items but had to shorten my timeline to stay under the 12 mo period allow by the bank. This made my closing a swift process and I accepted a lot more imperfections than I would have preferred. That aside, I'm running into some new issues and I was wondering what responsibility my builder has to repair them. My first concern is saying he doesn't do walk throughs. He had previously mentioned that he does 30 and 90 day walk throughs so this is contradictory. So they say a picture is worth a 1,000 words so i will attach a few images of the cracking/splitting and separating of boards and trim I"m seeing. My builder is saying that this is all typical with temperature/moisture changes and that he is not responsible. If he would have told me this would have happened with my bar top I would have looked at other options. He's basically saying "too bad, bad choice". Do I have a leg to stand on to get him back to fix? Does the entire top need to be replaced? Am I better to suck it up and have the top covered with pounded copper or anther option.

Also, as for the separating trim. Does the builder have any responsibility to return and fix the spacing or will it go back to normal in spring as he says?

This post was edited by censt62001 on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 13:54

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH