SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manda_2006

Don't know where to turn

manda_2006
17 years ago

Hi all...I need your advice yet again.

8 yr. old sd is causing a ruckus again, but I've come to the realization that her dad, my DH, is a major part of the problem.

Last night when asking sd a standard question, she began to cry, as usual. She cries to get her way or manipulate. I asked her to stop crying and explain to me what the problem was. She started her usual incoherent babble. I asked her to please speak to me like a big girl and she put her fingers in her ears and screeched to the top of her lungs. I stared at her like she was crazy. She continued, so I picked her up and told her if she was going to act like a baby, I was going to treat her like one, so I carried her around the house like a baby. She kicked at me, swung at me, screamed at me, a full-on temper tantrum. I told her when she stopped, I would put her down and we could talk calmly. She refused, kept screaming, so I took her face in my hand to get her to look at me. She squirmed and then began screaming that I choked her. I said, "I didn't even touch your neck!" She then said it felt like I was choking her. (BTW, her bio mom would do this, lie and say you hit her, etc.) All I was doing was sitting in the rocking chair with her. I was touching her hair and asking her why she is so sad all the time and she played the mom card. I told her I understood and she was entitled to be sad but let's try to focus on the positive things in life and try to be happy and talk about our feelings. She then tells me she only likes me sometimes and the other times she hates me. She told me she behaves like a baby because "that's how God made me."

I explained that she chooses to behave the way she does and she should choose to be happy. I gave her a few examples of some happy aspects of her life, she tells me she wishes she could live with Grandma. I told her we wanted her here because we like spending time with her and love her. She didn't reply, just continued to cry and drool. I sent her to bed.

DH was at work. When he called, I filled him in. He told me I did the right thing, he's sorry I had to go through that, he doesn't know what's wrong with her, he'll have a talk with her, on and on. I felt like we were on the same page. This morning he has his talk with her. Here is the gist of what he said. "I didn't like my parents when I was little, either, so you're not alone. I understand. You shouldn't have had a temper tantrum, but I am so glad you talked about your feelings. Come on, baby doll, let's go out for a while and have some fun!"

Wha...??? I think he's lost his mind. He justified everything she did. There was no "tell your SM that you're sorry. You can feel however you want, but you are going to be respectful!" Had one of my bio kids acted that way to him when I wasn't around, I would have nipped it and quick! If they didn't get a spanking they wouldn't forget, they sure as heck wouldn't be going out to have some fun! He rewarded her behavior and disrespect yet again. I am so run down with him leaving me to single-handedly raise this child. I feel like I am having a nervous breakdown. I just saw the doctor for stress and anxiety attacks. I sometimes dream of just being with my 3 bio kids and leaving him to be her lil' buddy. It hurts me so bad and I don't know what to do.

Comments (4)