SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

Kids (not) taking meds

ceph
15 years ago

I could use some help here...

What do you do when your kids or Skids don't want to take their meds?

A__ takes Ritalin during the day for ADHD and a sleeping pill at night.

Apparently at his GM's (and once at his BM's) he's been spitting them out or hiding them instead of taking them. BM called to tell me this yesterday and ask that we/I talk to him about the importance of his meds, and uphold his grounding for telling his GM to "F--- off"

BM said she told him that he needs his pills and that he should take them.

I told FDH this before he went to get A__ and in the car, he explained that when one of his caregivers gives him a pill, he should take it. I think FDH sort of skipped over the root of the problem here, so I asked him why he doesn't want to take his pills and he said that he doesn't have as much fun on them.

Well, I see his point, but I pointed out how he has meltdowns when he doesn't take them, and explained that he doesn't take pills because no one wants him to have fun, or because we don't like him, or to punish him. He takes them because he has trouble with everyday things, like handling feelings or going to the store, so if he can learn to manage these things with his pills to help him out, then one day he can probably learn to do it without his pills, but not yet.

We also talked about if it's better to have a LOT of fun for a little bit, but then have a meltdown and cry all afternoon, or if it's better to have a little less fun, but have it all day... So when he doesn't want to take his pill, he should think about that.

This morning, I watched him swallow his pills and slug back a whole glass of water, whereas usually we just put them with his breakfast and he takes them himself when he is done.

Is there anything else we can do here?

What would you do or did you to when your kid doesn't want their pills?

What could I have said differently?

Comments (19)