SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
june0000

Lack of Empathy from SD's- Hard to Understand

june0000
16 years ago

Within the last couple of years, my adult SD's lost their maternal grandmother. I reached out to each of them to express my sympathies and to try to provide words of comfort.

I also reached out to my husband's ex and we had several long conversations on the phone. In fact, in the days just after the loss, there were many phone calls back and forth and when they called, they wanted to talk to me (the ex and SD's). I spent many hours on the phone that week with all trying to comfort and express sympathy. I was very sincere - I know what it is like to lose someone you dearly love.

Earlier this year, a close male relative of mine died very suddenly and unexpectedly. He was in his early 40's and it left my entire family and me stunned as well as heart-broken. I still shed tears over the loss of this wonderful man that I grew up with.

My relative was a shining star and we were so proud of him and his many accomplishments and acts of generosity. The news of his untimely death shocked everyone and it was all over the news and the Internet. His memorial service was televised.

My DH called his daughters to tell them about my loss and he told them I was stunned and feeling pretty bad about it. Their remark was surprise because they heard the news and they knew who he was, but didn't know that I was closely related to him.

One phone call was made to our house - by the youngest, who is in her mid-20's, who asked DH what time it was going to be on TV and what channel as she and her Mom wanted to watch it.

I've seen all of them, including the ex, many times since this happened. No one has ever said one word of acknowledgement about my loss nor has one word of sympathy been expressed to me by them. It is as if it never happened. They can't even muster a "wow - what a shock, huh?".

When I told my DH he needed to spend more time with his daughters alone, part of it is because he should have been doing that all along. I have to admit, though, that I am kind of tired of knocking myself out. In the long run, it doesn't do any good. I can invest my energies elsewhere.

Am I wrong to feel this way? It really hurt. Especially with the youngest SD. She and I have always gotten along quite well - or so I thought. It just made me realize how much I am disliked. I would have to intensely dislike someone to completely ignore a loss they suffered. Even then, I think I could manage a "I'm sorry" at the minimum.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus