SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenity_now_2007

Financial Self-Protection

serenity_now_2007
15 years ago

There have been several posts the last several days advising women on here to protect themselves with a prenup or a postnup, by keeping finances separate, and even one poster who advised a woman to empty out the shared bank account and leave(!). This advice has tended to be offered when the DH in question is seen as either ignoring the woman's wishes, not prioritizing her enough, or financially dependent on the woman in whole or in part, permanently or temporarily.

Seeing this kind of advice over the last few days has interested me because I know that many women (and I dare say many SM's) are against prenups, even outraged by the mere suggestion of them. It's defintely an extremely touchy subject, as we all know, and I almost hesitate to even bring it up b/c most discussions about prenups devolve into 'shaming' types of statements, one way or the other, for or against. The same holds true when we get to the question of the necessity of separating finances/maintaining a job or other means of financial independence, or in any way coming up with a plan in case of divorce, with often the very idea of this being out-of- the-question or deeply resented that it even has to be a question in the mind.

So I guess my question to everyone is this: under what circumstances do you feel it's appropriate to consider a plan for the partners in a marriage or long-term relationship to look out for their own financial interests via prenup, post-nup, separate finances and the like? It seems like many on here have come up with the idea that it's necessary when the *woman* is the primary breadwinner (especially when she has her own kids), and/or after certain problems develop within the relationship where the woman feels like her needs are not being considered important enough. Do you think it's best to wait until such problems develop before taking action to financially protect oneself or to do it before it becomes an issue? Is it acceptable to you to implement such a plan if only one party (generally, the breadwinner) feels a need for it? Would you be concerned or upset if your partner was not willing to join you in implementing such a plan? Does gender make a difference?

Discuss!

Comments (9)