SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Homesteading & the financial shake-up

joel_bc
15 years ago

The biggest financial/economic shockwave since the 1930s. This seems like an apt topic for this forum, so I thought I'd start a thread.

In the Great Depression, if a family had a piece of land in good shape, and knew how to make use of it, and they weren't in debt vulnerability, and they weren't in the dustbowl region - well, they were very often in good shape. They could shelter and feed themselves, and the lifestyle made for few demands of the 'frivolous spending' sort.

Today, it seems to me that some interesting things are likely to be occuring - one being that rural properties that many people have purchased as second homes and getaways may come on the market, what with many people having to sell "luxuries" that they've not yet fully paid for. This probably would mean that the land-price bubble that was growing for many years in a lot of rural regions probably has burst, hence rural properties may once again be much more reasonably priced. perhaps homesteading becomes an open option, again, for a lot of energetic, self-reliant, prudent people.

So I'm wondering how you may be looking at the current situation, and how it's affecting you and your neighbors, and what you may be doing differently these days than you were four or five months ago?

Joel

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living