SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stefk18

advice before getting married

stefk18
15 years ago

As a SK and FSM, I have seen both the hardships and joys of blended families. My parents were divorced when I was three, and when they remarried their relationships with their new spouses weren't an example I'd like to follow.

Fiance and I planned on getting married next summer, but have recently toyed with getting married on our upcoming trip to the bahamas...next month!!

I have always wanted a beach wedding, and the fact that we have the trip planned, and his boys (FSS's) are coming with us, make it kind of perfect. (Plus the fact that my mom is driving me CRAZY with the wedding planning :)

SOOO...I was hoping for any advice you could give to a soon to be blended family. Specifically, what topics to discuss in depth before getting married, that we might not have thought of. We have discussed finances- and decided it's best to have majority go to joint account, with each having separate accounts for 'fun' money?

What about holidays? Coordinating with my family is already agony on the holidays, because they live 2 hrs away, and are blended themselves. So I've had to deal with going to both Mom and Dad's 'sides' all my life, and now we are going to be complicating it further. With fiance's parents wanting us there, and coordinating BM's time with kids, how do you make it work? Fiance is such a supportive and loving man, and wants to make our family work and me happy, but I don't think he analyzes these things as much as I do.

Mostly because as an SK, I've seen how conflicted life can become. I want us to start as strong as we can. We plan on having children of our own as well, so we'd like the family to be as cohesive as possible. This board has been so valuable to me over the past few months, and is filled with intelligence and support. I'd love any advice you have.....

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES