SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worrywart_gw

Controlling relationship?

worrywart
16 years ago

This one's long:

Had disagreements last nite. Last week had decided it was better for us go separate ways. I have my sister's bridal shower/bachelorette events this sat/sun and a friend's wedding sun. During the split time (about a week, still talking and getting along well), I decided I would stay overnight @ hotel w/sister & friends on sat (and attend any after dinner stuff sat), go to wedding alone on sun. He decided to call in sick to work and have his daughter on same weekend (she lives with ex 2 hours away).

After last weekend, we decided to stay together, he told me of his plans with daughter, I told him of my plans with staying @ hotel. Last nite, talked about weekend again; he wasn't happy with me staying @ hotel sat night b/c it would mean we wouldn't see each other all day sat & sun (initially said he couldn't attend wedding w/me as he had daughter, and either i go alone or we all three go), and i originally said I wouldn't stay for anything past dinner. Said that given our decision to be in relationship, i should stick with original decision of dinner only, make sure to show him he's important by spending time w/him sat nite. He also wanted to now bring his daughter to my friend's wedding. I wasn't too happy with that - feel it's rude to ask for extra guest at last minute, want to be able to enjoy wedding without having to look after her; potentially have to leave early to drop her off to mom. Would be different story if we originally planned to have her on the weekend.

My compromise was I will not stay overnight sat, if you can arrange that we 2 attending wedding as in original plans. He felt that this was not a compromise, as I was getting everything that I originally wanted, plus more: have all day with sister, plus now additionally after dinner drinks, and have just us two at wedding.

This is in light of him @ his best friend's bachelor event (went to a basketball game) when i went out of town to visit new nephew. Turns out I was going to get back home earlier than expected, and asked him if they had plans after game. His reply was that no definite plans but that if group decided on dinner, he was going to attend, too bad that i was coming back earlier, he wasn't changing plans for me. Also, he went to the friend's wedding alone during our weekend apart, and had said that he didn't want to bring daughter b/c he didn't want to look after her during the wedding (also he was Best man).

I pointed these things out to him, he's willing to arrange for us to go to wedding without daughter, but still feels that I am wrong to not be placing priority on making sure that I spend time with him on sat night. I told him I felt he should be supportive of me wanting to be part of all my sister's pre-wedding events (I didn't tell him not to go to his dinner even though the game ran an extra 3 hours so he got home after 11pm instead of around 8) the way that I was for him, and that he's being controlling by trying to suggest what the right thing for me to do sat nite (in his opinion) would be, as well as trying to use guilt to make me go his way.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals