SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norar_il

Vinyl windows and storm windows

norar_il
15 years ago

We live in an old house -- over 100 years old -- which has been worked on by previous owners. I'm certain none of the windows are original and positive that all of them leak air badly. Some windows look fine, but we can feel the air rushing through and in some cases hear it whistling through. Others have parts of the wood rotting and have gaps where the glass does not fit against the wood any more. The windows need replacing.

We will replace them with vinyl windows which I know is not as pleasing to look at on an old house as wood, but there is no way we can afford new wooden windows, nor can we afford to rework the exisiting ones. The windows we will get will not be top of the line, but if they shut off the wind, they will be a huge improvement!

My question is about storm windows over the vinyl. We already have the storm windows and I have the intention of keeping them, thinking they will help cut down the wind as well as helping to protect the window casings from all sorts of weather. My SIL says well fitting windows will not need this help. I also have read before that storm windows will help with insulation, but it seems some folks do not agree.

I would really appreciate any advice from people who have had experience with this situation.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions